Saturday, July 2, 2016

A Shark Tooth Necklace

  Shark Week is almost over, can you believe it?! It always seems to go by so fast. Today I'm sharing a shark tooth necklace made from Shrinky Dinks!

 
  To start I sketched out a shark tooth, and then traced it with a fine tip black Sharpie marker. Then I took a picture of it and opened it up in Silhouette Studio. Next I cleaned up my design a bit by removing and fixing some nodes and then re-sized it to about 3 inches in height.

  The settings that I used to cut the design out with my Silhoutte Cameo are: Coverstock; Blade 10; Speed 1; Depth 33; Doublecut. I also used Almond colored Shrinky Dinks on a brand *New* Cricut mat (I find them sturdier then the Silhouette mat) and a brand new Silhouette blade. I cut out my design 11 times (So including the double cut that would be 22 times) and cleaned debris from the blade after each double cut. This did not cut out my design completely but it was enough where I could gently bend the cut shape back and forth to remove it from the rest of the shrinky dink plastic and in some spots I actually had to carefully slide my non-stick scissors around the sides and remove my design. There were a few rough spots, so I just carefully trimmed them off with scissors.  Following the manufacturer's instructions I baked my Shrinky Dink design.

  Once it cooled, I wrapped 24 gauge Stainless Steel wire around the plastic shark tooth and added a loop with my pliers so I could easily string it onto a ball chain necklace without having to use a jump ring.



    Next I added it onto a stainless steel ball chain and my Shark Tooth Necklace was ready to wear!

  Thanks for stopping by! See you tomorrow for the last day of Shark Week!

- Kim

 (Disclosure: I am not affiliated with any of the below companies, I just like their stuff!)

-Electronic Cutting Machine: Silhouette Cameo
-Design Program: Silhouette Studio Designer Edition
-Shrinky Dinks - Almond color
-EK Tools Scissors
-New Cricut Mat
-New Silhouette Blade
-pencil, paper, fine tip Sharpie marker, camera
-24 gauge stainless steel wire (found in most bead stores)
-Pliers - Round Nose, Chain Nose, Wire Cutters
-Stainless Steel Ball Chain with clasp

No comments:

Post a Comment